Know In What Era We Minister
14) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15) I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot
16) So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17) Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18) I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19) As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent
20) Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21) To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Revelations 2 & 3
reveal great differences between local Churches as the Apostolic Age drew to a close.
I'm sure, after the rapture, the denominations will continue unscathed. There will be Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, and most certainly TV charismatic miracle meetings. The Southern Baptists will still hold Conventions. But, no true conversions will accompany any of their Gospels. Millions will go forward to join in with the Great Apostasy of that hour. We can see it building today! Liberal, Conservative, all joining together in an apostate gospel that unifies all in the effort. All Biblical doctrine that separates the real truth from this apostate truth will be disregarded as the hype intensifies. The only Christianity of the tribulation will be Apostate! It will be successful just as the Charismatic Movement is today. It's foundation will be the same false doctrine, or no doctrine whatsoever.
To reach the category of being "spued from God's mouth" is a strong indictment! What failure in responsibility sets the Laodiceans in such a position that God must end the entire Church Age because of them?
Today there are still like-minded fundamental missionaries emulating those Saints of old, and going out to serve independently with little or even no support.
They paint houses, cut firewood, and fix roofs to feed their families. But mostly, for the privilege of serving the Christ whom they love.
I know them personally. I pray for them every day.
There are probably too many of them?. How many of those willing individuals did your Church and mine turn away these past years?
Missionary budgets are limited. Who could give support to every sound missionary willing to go?
Why do missionaries spend years trying to build support that often comes far short of their needs? Maybe it's because all the support money is consumed by the big efforts aimed at millions at a time, rather then the personal one at a time method of the past? Many old fashioned missionaries just go out on the field by God's grace after fruitless years of deputation in the richest country on the face of the earth.
In a day where being part of something big, and having lots of success is promoted as the only way to get the job accomplished, there are still many who go with only a prayer because nothing is left for them. They won't sacrifice truth for success. They won't deceitfully hype God or their ministry for the itchy ears of the modern potential supporter. These are truthful servants.
While John was at Patmos, the Local Church of Laodicea was exposed for all it's faults. At the same time down the road, there existed the Local Church of Philadelphia. I believe true fundamentalism is exemplified by the Church of Philadelphia, and can exist in an age dominated by the Laodiceans. It won't be "mainstream," and it won't be popular, but it will, in love, make distinction between the saved and the unsaved. Their harvest, whether big or small, will be sifted by sound fundamental Biblical doctrine. They will stand on Biblical doctrine with NO compromise for sinner or saint.
The true fundamentalist will shed more and more tears as the rapture approaches. A round peg in a square hole is nothing compared to ministering during the reign of Laodicea. In the end a few will have stayed the course. They will probably be more mutilated from the Laodicean Church then from the world, flesh, and Devil, but they will have overcome.
A pillar in the temple of my God is how John put it to the Philadelphians. Now that's my kind of peg! Not a bad end for an overcomer living through the Laodicean era!
Return to Table of Contents: